MDLT’s Conservation Seed Bank is a repository of seeds and spores of native flora from throughout the Mojave Desert ecoregion. The seed bank serves as an ex-situ conservation tool for use in restoration, education, and research in the Mojave Desert region.
Collection priority is given to:
- Species with high restoration value
- Forage plants for pollinators and endangered wildlife
- Rare, threatened, and endangered plant taxa
Seeds are collected, documented, and cleaned by trained staff and volunteers. Collections are placed in long-term storage as well as in our working seed bank. Seed from these collections is used in restoration projects, to grow out for contracts and plant sales, for seed-increase production, and for research to establish propagation protocols. All collections are accompanied by field data that include GPS information, soil type and characteristics, and vegetation alliance. These data points help inform restoration practitioners in choosing the right plant materials for a restoration site.
Goals for the Conservation Seed Bank include:
- Have representative collections of all plant species found on MDLT properties
- Develop propagation protocols for uncommon and/or difficult species
- Work with partner agencies and organizations on seed-increase production and grow outs with an emphasis on habitat restoration and rare plant conservation
- Provide internship opportunities to educate students about seed collection, storage and propagation
- Offer educational workshops on seed collection and plant propagation
We welcome donations of seed from our supporters. We ask that seed donations meet the following criteria:
- Seed is collected from plants that are native to the Mojave Desert ecoregion
- Seed is collected from the donor’s property or from private property with permission from the landowner
Please be aware that it is illegal to collect seed on land that does not belong to you (including MDLT property, federal lands, private property, etc.) without permission from the landowner/land manager. Collecting in national parks is always prohibited.
If you would like to donate seeds from your property to the seed bank, please complete our Seed Donation Form.